We summarise below a range of typical fees that might be involved in Grant of Probate applications and also the full administration of estates. However, we appreciate that every matter is different. At the outset, we will analyse your case and provide you with a tailored estimate of fees.
Our prices for Grant of Probate Applications only:
- When there is no Inheritance Tax to pay and shorter HRMC forms
(IHT205) – £800 + VAT & Disbursements.
- Longer Inheritance Tax forms (IHT400) – £1,250 – £1,950 + VAT & Disbursements.
When completing the full Administration of an Estate the price will depend on the assets included. These prices do not include dealing with the transfer or selling of shares and all costs associated with property sales or transfers, will be separate and in addition to the costs outlined here:
- Non-taxable estates – Between £2,000 and £7,000 + VAT & Disbursements.
- Where Inheritance Tax is payable;
- up to £1M – Between £4,000 and £8,000 + VAT & Disbursements.
- over £1M – Costs by Agreement.
Of course the above is dependent on the number and complexity of assets included, some estates will require more work than others. The above-quoted prices deal with estates where all of the financial information and valuations are provided. If Hallmark Hulme are required to obtain valuations etc. then a fixed fee cannot be guaranteed.
For full administration matters– the quoted prices will only apply to estates where:
- There is a valid Will
- There is no more than 1 residential property
- There are 5 or less bank/building society accounts
- There are no other intangible assets or shareholdings
- There are 5 or less main beneficiaries.
- There is no dispute
- Probate court fee – £155
- Additional sealed copies of the Grant of Representation – £1.50 per copy
- Swear fee approx. £7 per executor or administrator
- Bankruptcy searches – £2
- Post in the London Gazette for unknown creditors – £69.50 + VAT
- Post for unknown creditors in local paper – prices vary but for the local paper Worcester News it currently stands at- £87.25 + VAT
How long will it take?
- Application only No Inheritance Tax to be paid – 6-8 weeks
- Applications where Inheritance Tax is payable – 8 -12 weeks
- Full administration of an estate – 9-12 months – of course this is dependent on a number of factors. For example, if we are waiting for a property to sell, or to deal with International Assets this can delays matters and that can add to the time required to finalise the estate.